Rose Natural Form Era Dress


Hello everyone!  I hope that the first few days of February are treating you well!

For today's post, I've decided to share the truly wonderful Rose Natural Form Era Dress!  She is so incredibly beautiful and is made of the most wonderfully soft cotton.  The print is a wild rose.  I thought they were apple blossoms, but upon closer inspection, you can tell by the thorns and leaves that they are indeed wild roses!

The dress is made in the polonaise style.  

Polonaise: a woman's dress with a tight bodice and a skirt open from the waist downward looped up to show a decorative underskirt.

The "panniers" are very similar to the style worn in the late 1700s.  It is such a lovely style and not at all like a typical skirt and bodice.



I love how the sides of the polonaise bodice drape over the skirt!


The pleats on either side of the front opening are so lovely and add a really fun look to the bodice.


The shell button are so interesting in that they are not flat like others, but are quite thick.  These were not easy to button up!


I love how the pleats on the bodice echo the pleats on the skirt!


Notice the back of the skirt.  The years of the Natural Form Era ran from 1877-1883.  During this time, the emphasis of the dress focused on the "natural form" of the body and did not employ hoops or bustles to alter the silhouette!


From the back you can see the bustling of the polonaise bodice.  If this weren't a polonaise, the bustling would have been added to the skirt or an overskirt.


The pattern matching on the back and peplum is so wonderfully done! I just love the print of this fabric!!


The pleated panels were sewn on after the skirt was made.  Makes me wonder if the panels were an afterthought our just the best way to add them.


Here you can see the three rows of ruffles under the pleated panel.  So very interesting!


Pocketses precious!!  I love pockets in antique skirts!


Look at all that gathering! This skirt was not lined, making it easier to put so much fabric into a waistband.  There is no indication that a hook and eye was employed to close the skirt, but a lot of indication that a safety pin was.  I decided not to add a hook and eye, as I don't know what the original intention was, so use a safety pin myself!


Hanging hooks are found on either side of the skirt and at the armscyes.  These were used in place of a hanger and hung on hooks!

Check out these amazing hand sewn button holes!  I cannot believe how incredibly well sewn they are!!  However made this dress should have gotten an A+++++ in class!


Here you see proof that these button holes were hand sewn and not machine sewn.  So incredibly impressive!

I did two videos on this dress and sadly they came out a wee little bit blurry, but I hope that you check them out if you want to see how the dress moves and more images!

Have a splendid day everyone!
I'll see you later!

Tootle-oo!!

g





 

Comments

Popular Posts